Who are we?
DAE was founded in February 2020. It is a member’s association made up of people working in non-fiction professions with the goal of strengthening and growing their networks, creating an abundance of opportunities and protecting their interests on a pan-European and international level.
The Documentary Association of Europe acts and advocates for everyone working in documentary storytelling professions in Europe and beyond.
The second concern of the association is to create resources, programming and events to solidify these primary interests. This includes:
- Creating spaces for community building, dialogue and networking
- Creating resources and sharing relevant, up-to-date information on current filmmaking practices, financing and distribution sources as well as inspirational keynotes and best-practices
- Collecting relevant, accurate and impactful data on European documentary films and the professionals who create them to influence and drive dialogue on a political and economic level
- Ushering in change and a placing more resources into radical collaborative models
- Creating a hub of competence for those seeking information and resources on non-fiction filmmaking, showcasing the diversity and skill of European and international documentary practitioners
- Negotiating and collating the best services, deals, discounts and opportunities for association members
- Creating a space for open dialogue that is intersectional on many levels
Admin & Executive Assistant
The association addresses the whole audiovisual chain: it is not a union or acting in the interest of one profession. We welcome all including filmmakers, producers, editors, sound artists, commissioning editors, DOPs, sales agents, festival workers, programmers, curators, academics, journalists, students and film lovers with a vested interest in keeping a healthy momentum and maximum visibility for non-fiction filmmaking and want to expand their network beyond their national borders.
Members come from the countries of the EU but also from neighboring countries and abroad. Members do not have to be EU nationals or residing in an EU country. We are open to all people who are interacting or have the wish to interact with/in the European documentary industry: participating in co-productions, in film festivals and markets, training initiatives or the European distribution chain. The network is open to all who have a vested interest in a fair and fruitful non-fiction market in Europe.
DAE members are up and coming talents making their first steps in the industry, DAE members are also Oscar- and EFA-winning professionals with hundreds of years of experience between them. We believe intergenerational dialogue and mutual exchange is a key to creating a sustainable future.